Humans of IBMAoT
A series on our inspiring and inclusive academy of eminent technology thought leaders who have an enduring impact in making the world better.
We did not need to look far for the first profile of our new series: Agostinho de Arruda Villela is an inspirational leader of our IBM Academy of Technology (AoT) who manages our Latin America Affiliate Region, aruguably the most prolific.
In this 10 minute podcast, Agostinho shares his personal journey in IBM that led him into becoming a inspirational leader in IBM Latin America.
What does an IBM Academy of Technology (AoT) leader of an Affiliate Region do? Here goes:
Agostinho oversees the Latin America AoT Affiliates which are 6 in total:
- 3 affiliates – Brazil, Mexico and Argentina
- 2 emerging affiliates – Colombia and Peru
- 1 emerging affiliate candidate – Costa Rica
This entails, at least, biweekly calls (one with the affiliateleaders, one with the AoT Technology Themes focal points, and, sometimes, one for the Nurturing AoT Candidates initiative) which are, arguably, some of the most productive AoT affiliates in the world.
In this role, Agostinho also oversees and participates actively in 4 AoT initiatives – in pursuit of AoT Affiliate Exemplary Status, Affiliate Insights submissions, Nurturing of Latin America AoT Candidates and AoT Technology Themes (Environment & Sustainability and Future of Energy).
In addition, Agostinho is the Costa Rica AoT Champion, mentoring them to become an emerging affiliate next year. He’s been a member of the Global Selection Board for Latin America AoT candidates for 2 years in a row. For the second year in a row, he’s been an evaluator in Latin America for OTAA prize in the Innovation Category.
Moreover, he does presentations to clients as an AoT member multiple times a year at meetings such as the Brazil Innovation Reference Center and events in universities and schools.
And, he’s extremely active as a Brazil AoT Affiliate member, heading their Outreach Committee and leading their Blockchain study – which successfully concluded on August 25th.
All of these activities Agostinho does with a contagious passion for IBM’s technical community – a testament of his personal dedication and contribution to our IBM Academy of Technology’s mission and IBM values.
So, what does Agostinho do in his off time? Does he have time? We asked him a few rapid fire questions:
– Mac or PC: I’m fine with a PC, as long as it has Windows 10 and an SSD drive
– Movie: The Fifth Element, Heavy Metal, A Good Year, The Sum of All Fears, The Last of the Mohicans, The Big Short, Trinity is My Name, La Armata Brancaleone
-New technology: Blockchain, IoT, AI, Quantum Computing
– Author/Book: Isaac Asimov (Foundation Trilogy), Clayton Christensen (The Innovator’s Dilemma), Michael Lewis (The Big Short), Geoffrey Moore (Crossing the Chasm), James Clavell (Shogun and Tai-pan)
– Vacation: Barcelona, Lisbon, Oporto, Ouro Preto, Curitiba
– Food: Sushi/Sashimi
– Animal: Jaguar
– Sports – Bicycling, Soccer
-Hobbies: Bicycling, Going to the movies (saw yesterday “Star Trek – Beyond”), Watch TV series (my favorites are “Person of Interest” and “The Blacklist”)
Yes: Agostinho finds time to balance it all.