Have you heard? The new ABC’s: Analytics, Big Data and Cognitive Computing was the topic of our Academy Think Event held on November 10th.
Our event replay is now available in its entirety on our Ustream Channel. Closed caption is available in English.
For individual videos on each agenda topic, visit our YouTube playlist that are designed for easy use in the classroom.
Calling all makers: Meet TJ Bot! with Maryam Ashoori – “Cool Things” Czar at IBM Research
- In the spirit of the maker community, TJ Bot is a DIY kit that allows you to build your own programmable cardboard robot powered by Watson. It consists of a cardboard cutout (which can be 3D printed or laser cut), Raspberry Pi and a variety of add-ons – including a RGB LED light, a microphone, a servo motor, and a camera. Most excitingly – TJ Bot is an open-source project with instructions available on Instructables.com and GitHub. While the team at IBM has provided three starter-sets of instructions (recipes) for bringing TJ Bot to life, we’re asking all of you to contribute your own instructions to inspire your fellow makers.
- Do you know how your data is being used? What about the Internet of Things devices – the smart thermostat, smart TV, smart house? What are you really accepting when you agree to the terms and conditions for the “privilege” to utilize those so-called “free” apps?
Data Computing for Social Good with Aleksandra Mojsilovic
- The challenges our planet faces — poverty, climate, inequalities, access to food, water, healthcare education and cleaner energy sources — continue to grow. Data Scientist is deemed “the sexiest job of the 21st Century” by Harvard Business Review. Learn why.
Medical Minecraft with Phaedra Boinodiris
- Have you ever learned anything from playing a game? Have you played a game that made you think differently about an issue or about the world? That made you actually adopt new behaviors or solve a complex real world problem? Join Phaedra who will introduce you to the world of serious games and the magic that happens when you intersect Watson and games. She will then explain how YOU can make your own magic by following a recipe for your very own Medical Minecraft: a project born from a Game Design class at a high school in Texas for disadvantaged teens.
- Think you have what it takes to stay cool during a Code Red cybersecurity incident? Better yet, can you use your calm brainwaves to beat an opponent? Fresh off their tour from hacker conference Black Hat, our hippos are ready to bring their awesome mind control prowess to you. John and Aidan will take you on a behind-the-scenes journey from the wacky project’s Sci-Fi conception to full-fledged prototype. Learn how you can create your very own brain-powered hippo machine for just $100, using store-bought tabletop games, a little code and a lot of ingenuity. Prepare for a fun tale spanning reverse-engineering, electronic tinkering, clever programming, futuristic 3D printing technology and a horde of hungry hippos!
Tips to help students, schools and parents succeed with our new learning kits on the IBM On Demand Community:
- Use IBM Bluemix for 6 to 12 months at no charge with promotion codes! Sign in with school credentials at http://onthehub.com/ibm/
- Academic Initiative now on developerWorks: See https://developer.ibm.com/academic/